Get Your Free 150 MB Website Now!


FORD AND KISSINGER GAVE GREEN LIGHT 
TO INDONESIA'S INVASION OF EAST TIMOR, 1975



New Documents Detail Conversations with Suharto

http://www.nsarchive.org/NSAEBB/NSAEBB62



WASHINGTON, D.C. - The National Security Archive at George Washington University today published on the World Wide Web previously secret archival documents confirming for the first time that the Indonesian government launched its bloody invasion of Portuguese East Timor in December 1975 with the concurrence of President Gerald Ford and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. Since then, the Suharto regime that sponsored the invasion has disintegrated, and East Timor has achieved independence, but as many as 200,000 Timorese died during the twenty-five year occupation.

Twenty-six years ago today, President Gerald Ford and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger met with Indonesian President Suharto during a brief stopover in Jakarta while they were flying back from Beijing. Aware that Suharto had plans to invade East Timor, and that the invasion was legally problematic - in part because of Indonesia's use of U.S. military equipment that Congress had approved only for self-defense - Ford and Kissinger wanted to ensure that Suharto acted only after they had returned to U.S. territory. The invasion took place on December 7, 1975, the day after their departure, resulting in the quarter-century long violent and bloody Indonesian occupation of East Timor.

Henry Kissinger has consistently denied that any substantive discussion of East Timor took place during the meeting with Suharto, but a newly declassified State Department telegram from December 1975 confirms that such a discussion took place and that Ford and Kissinger advised Suharto that "it is important that whatever you do succeeds quickly." Two key documents released today were declassified by the Gerald R. Ford Library at the request of the National Security Archive; Archive staffers located other documents at the National Archives. Today's revelations include:

When Suharto told Ford and Kissinger that he was about to order an invasion, the response was only to caution that "it would be better it it were done after we returned" (the invasion began the next day).

Kissinger told Suharto that the use of U.S.-supplied arms in the invasion - equipment that under U.S. law could not be used for offensive military operations - "could create problems," but indicated that they might be able to "construe" the invasion as self-defense.

On 12 August 1975, a few days after a coup attempt in East Timor, Kissinger observed that an Indonesian takeover would take place "sooner or later".

Six months into the occupation of East Timor, Kissinger acknowledged to senior State Department officials that U.S. military aid had been used "illegally" and hinted at his own doubts about the invasion: Washington had "not very willingly" resumed normal relations with Jakarta.

"This important set of documents reveals the overriding importance that the Ford administration attached to maintaining friendly relations with Indonesia in the immediate aftermath of the U.S. defeat in Vietnam. Ford and Kissinger plainly viewed the maintenance of warm ties with the Suharto regime as a foreign policy priority that far outweighed any secondary concerns about the possible Indonesian use of force in East Timor--even though the use of such force would constitute a clear violation of American laws. The callous disregard for the human life and political aspirations of the East Timorese are rather breathtakingly exposed in these newly released documents." --- Robert J. McMahon, Professor of History, University of Florida, and author of The Limits of Empire: the United States and Southeast Asia Since 1945 (1999)

The documents are available at the following URL:

http://www.nsarchive.org/NSAEBB/NSAEBB62 _______________________________________________

THE NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVE is an independent non-governmental research institute and library located at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. The Archive collects and publishes declassified documents acquired through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). A tax-exempt public charity, the Archive receives no U.S. government funding; its budget is supported by publication royalties and donations from foundations and individuals. ___________________________________________________________________

PRIVACY NOTICE The National Security Archive does not and will never share the names or e-mail addresses of its subscribers with any other organization. Once a year, we will write you and ask for your financial support. We may also ask you for your ideas for Freedom of Information requests, documentation projects, or other issues that the Archive should take on. We would welcome your input, and any information you care to share with us about your special interests. But we do not sell or rent any information about subscribers to any other party.

Hard Truth Wake Up America Home