Al Fayed claims fresh Diana info
Mohamed Al Fayed today announced he will make fresh allegations about the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, and his son Dodi.
The controversial Harrods owner has pledged to disclose "new information" on the eve of the third anniversary of the crash that claimed the pair's lives.
The move seems sure to anger those close to Diana's sons, Princes William and Harry, who have repeatedly pleaded with the Egyptian tycoon to spare the two young men further public allegations.
Diana and Dodi Fayed died when a Mercedes provided by Mr Al Fayed and driven by his employee, Henri Paul, ploughed into the 13th pillar in the Alma tunnel in Paris on August 31 1997.
French police found that Paul, deputy head of security at Mr Al Fayed's Paris Ritz hotel, had been drinking heavily and was speeding when the accident happened.
But Mr Al Fayed has refused to accept the French findings, repeatedly alleging that British security services engineered the crash and even trying to implicate the Duke of Edinburgh. John Macnamara, Mr Al Fayed's director of security, would give new information on his employer's claims at a press conference in the United States on Wednesday, the eve of the anniversary, according to a news release issued by Harrods. Mr Al Fayed's spokesman today declined to discuss details of what will be disclosed at the news conference, at the National Press Club in Washington.
But the news release said the Egyptian tycoon would announce legal action against the United States Government over the accident, and make a videotaped statement about the crash.
Mr Al Fayed has repeatedly called for CIA files relating to the accident to be made public, and the legal action may be a fresh attempt to obtain them.
The release said videotapes of Diana's last minutes would be distributed. The news conference would also given details of what Mr Al Fayed claims was an attempted 20-million-dollar fraud involving claims about CIA files said to prove that the pair were murdered.
Mr Macnamara would also give up-dates on the British and French
investigations into the tragedy, the announcement added.