- Docs Show Eli Lilly Knew Mercury
In Vaccines Was Known
Dangerous In 30's
- Waters & Kraus law firm exposes damaging
historical documents from Eli Lilly about Thimerosal (mercury) in
- Dear Sir,
- I've received this email and want to share it with
everyone as it could potentially bring down the card house of
- For those of you interested, following is our latest
press release about the documents we obtained from Eli Lilly. When you
read what they knew about mercury, you'll be furious!
- Claire M. Bothwell
- Waters & Kraus, LLP
- 200 Oceangate, Suite 520
- Long Beach, California 90802
- Tel: (562) 436-8833
- Fax: (562) 590-7296
- PRESS RELEASE March 17, 2002 For Immediate Release
- The Dallas-based law firm of Waters & Kraus
announced today that it has received documents as a result of the
discovery process in the case of Counter v. Eli Lilly & Company,
et al, currently pending in Brazoria County, Texas that come from the
archives of Eli Lilly & Company. The documents clearly demonstrate
that Lilly's thimerosal product, the mercury-based vaccine
preservative implicated in a number of recent law suits as causing
neurological injury to infants, was known as early as April 1930 to be
- In its apparent eagerness to promote and market the
product, in September, 1930, Eli Lilly secretly sponsored a
"human toxicity" study on patients already known to be dying
of meningococcal meningitis. Senior partner Andrew Waters stated that,
"Lilly then cited this study repeatedly for decades as proof that
thimerosal was of low toxicity and harmless to humans. They never
revealed to the scientific community or the public the highly
questionable nature of the original research."
- While Eli Lilly made every effort to corrupt the
medical and scientific literature, the process of arranging to publish
the results of its questionable secret study, other researchers have
provided Lilly with numerous articles since the 1930's indicating
concerns about thimerosal and its potential hazard to humans who might
be exposed or injected with the substance. The evidence clearly
demonstrates that Eli Lilly was advised repeatedly that their
conclusions of low toxicity were not warranted and that they failed to
pass the information on to appropriate federal and public health
authorities. The following time line illustrates some, but by no means
all, of the documentary evidence on this point from Lilly's internal
- 1947 Article received by Lilly: "No eruptions
or reactions have been observed or reported to merthiolate internally,
but it may be dangerous to inject a serum containing merthiolate into
a patient sensitive to merthiolate."
- 1948 Article received by Lilly: "Merthiolate is
such a commonly used preservative for biologicals, plasma, cartilage,
etc., that it would seem important to determine whether harm would
result following its subcutaneous or intravenous injection in skin
- 1950 New York Academy of Science article, "Mercurials
as Antiseptics:" "It (merthiolate) is toxic when injected
parenterally and therefore cannot be used in chemotherapy."
- 1963 Article received by Lilly: "There is
another point of practical significance: does the parenteral injection
of merthiolate-containing fluids cause disturbances in merthiolate-sensitive
patients?" "It is known that persons that are contact
sensitive to a drug may tolerate the same medications internally, but
it seems advisable to use a preservative other than merthiolate for
injections in merthiolate-sensitive people."
- 8/17/67 Medical/Science department requests that the
claim "non- toxic" on thimerosal labels be deleted in next
- 8/29/67 Draft label changed to "non-irritating
to body tissues," non-toxic omitted.
- 1972 British Medical Journal reports case of skin
burns resulting from the chemical interaction of thimerosal and
- aluminum. "Mercury is known to act as a
catalyst and to cause aluminum to oxidize rapidly, with the production
of heat." "The manufacturers who supply us with thimerosal
have been informed." [Thimerosal is being used in vaccines which
also contain aluminum].
- 1972 Article received by Lilly: Merthiolate in
vaccines caused six deaths ? "The symptoms and clinical course of
the six patients suggest subacute mercury poisoning."
- 4/27/76 Lilly responds to Rexall Drug Company's
efforts to place the following warning on Merthiolate product:
"Frequent or prolonged use or application to large areas may
cause mercury poisoning." Lilly objects to this proposed warning,
- "We object to the connection of our trademark
with the unjustified alarm and concern on the part of the user which
the statement is likely to cause? . We are not aware of any instance
of 'mercury poisoning' after decades of marketing this product. This
is because the mercury in the product is organically bound
ethylmercury as a completely non- toxic nature, not methylmercury."
- 1/5/82 FDA's advance notice of proposed rule making
- "At the cellular level, thimerosal has been
found to be more toxic for human epithelial cells in vitro than
mercuric chloride, mercuric nitrate, and merbromim (mercurichrom)."
"It was found to be 35.3 times more toxic for embryonic chick
heart tissue than for staphylococcus areus." 1950 study showed
that thimerosal was no better than water in protecting mice from
potential fatal streptococcal infection."
- "The Panel concludes that thimerosal is not
safe for OTC topical use because of its potential for cell damage if
applied to broken skin and its allergy potential. It is not effective
as a topical antimicrobial because its bacteriastatic action can be
- 4/7/83 Additional language added to some Lilly
labels: "As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby,
seek the advice of a health professional before using this
- 1991 Lilly ceases manufacture/sale of thimerosal.
Licensing agreements demonstrate continued profits from the product
until at least 2010.
- 12/8/99 Lilly MSDS regarding thimerosal:
- "Primary Physical & Reproduction Effects:
Nervous System and Reproduction Effects"
- "Effects of exposure include fetal changes.
- "Mercury poisoning may occur."
- "Exposure in children may cause mild to severe
mental retardation... ."
- "Hypersensitivity to mercury is a medical
condition aggravated by exposure."
- CERCLA Hazardous substance ? toxic waste disposal.
- Waters & Kraus is litigating a growing number of
individual cases across the country involving infants that sustained
serious neurological injuries from the thimerosal contained in their
pediatric vaccines. Waters & Kraus is leading the following
coalition of firms in bringing these cases to trial:
- Evert & Weathersby, L.L.C. 3405 Piedmont Road,
Suite 225 Atlanta, Georgia 30305-1764 Tel: 404.233.8718
- DORAN & MURPHY, LLP 1234 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, New York 14209 Tel: 716.884.2000
- Dogan & Wilkinson 726 Delmas Avenue Pascagoula,
Mississippi 39567 Tel: 228.762.2272
- O'CONNELL & O'SULLIVAN 217 N. McLean Blvd.,
Suite 2C Elgin, Illinois 60123 Tel: 847-741-4603
- Hendrickson & Long 214 Capital Street P.O. Box
11070 Charleston, W. VA 25339 Tel: 304.346.5500
- ANDERSON & KRIGER, APLC 40925 County Center
Drive, Suite 210 Temecula, California 92591 Tel: 909.296.5090
- WISE & JULIAN, PC 3555 College Avenue Alton,
Illinois 62002 Tel: 618.462.2600
- MARTZELL & BICKFORD 338 Lafayette Street New
Orleans, Louisiana 70130 Tel: 504.581.9065
- NANCE, CACCIATORE AND HAMILTON 525 North Harbor
Blvd. Melbourne, Florida 32935 Tel: 321.254.8416
- FERRARO & ASSOCIATES, P.A. First Union Financial
Center 200 South Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 3800 Miami, Florida 33131
- Cantor, Arkema and Edmonds, P.C. First National Bank
Building 823 East Main Street P.O. Box 561 Richmond, VA 23218-0561
- Thomasson, Gilbert, Cook & Maguire, LC 715 North
Clark P.O. Box 1180 Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63702-1180 Tel:
- WALLACE & GRAHAM 525 N. Main Street Salisbury,
North Carolina 28144 Tel: 704-633-5244
- THE HENDLER LAW FIRM, P.C. 816 Congress Avenue,
Suite 1100 Austin, Texas 78701 Tel: 512.473.3672